Wednesday, August 01, 2007

Fertilizer

It's the fruit season once more. And no, I am talking about durian although I am still waiting for my mum to cook the tempoyak udang. Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

My grandma used to have lots of fruit tree back in Hulu Langat but now there are only few left which includes a big rambutan tree in front of the house. Unlike durian, I looovee rambutan minus the guardian keeper, ants.

As far as I can recall, the ants used to carry some kind of scent with them. Pungent yet weirdly sweet scent. But mind you, they are a loyal keeper of the tree and err..fruits.

But few weeks ago as I ate the rambutan at nenek's house, I smelt something peculiar on the buah itself. It smells quite familiar but it didn't seemed right to me. I was thinking, takkanlah kot. Perhaps the smell came from somewhere else, I thought. Menggunakan hidung ala-ala anjing mengesan dadah, I tried to detect the smell. Whether you believe it or not, the smell came from the ants on the buah. Yes, the fruit protector.

Weird. Coz it smells like..hmm..nevermind. I must be hallucinating

So I thought I was, until yesterday, during dinner I heard my brother saying.

"Eh, apsal rambutan ni bau taik lembu hah?"

Hah! And I thought I was the only one!

Gila keji sial, rambutan bau taik lembu. But like I said it came from the ants and according to my brother, rasa rambutan tu pon dah ala-ala taik lembu. Ok, I don't really know how he reckoned it was taik lembu taste [sebab aku sure takde sape-sape dalam rumah ni penah makan taik lembu] somehow I know what he meant. Tapi aku tetap melantak jugalahkan.

But really, how could something that used to smell weirdly sweet turned into the smell of cow dunk in few years? Can it be the fertilizer because I am sure that there are no lembu at my nenek house.

But then again, do we put fertilizer for pokok rambutan?

I don't really know. The only thing that I tanam at my yard are my deceased cats.

No comments: