Thursday, April 01, 2004

Mind your language

What do think of transmitting English as your main language? In my opinion, Malay should do that. Why? Because I found that not many Malay can speak English well. I don't mean to those who are reading this blog now, i know u guys can speak good english.

I admit that my english is not that excellent either, but at least I still can make people comprehend what I'm trying to pass to them. After accomplishing few interview sessions with malay applicants I found that I'm not content with what I saw. Only few of us can speak good english. Some can't even understand a word.

Me:Tell me more about yourself
Girl:*silence*
Me:Can u understand me?
Girl:*silence*
Me:U tak faham apa I cakap ke atau u tak faham english?
Girl: cakap bahasa melayula..

Oh my, and she's looking for job in firms. Which are mostly own by non bumi..hm..what should I say? I tried to encourage her to speak in english and she threw me some look. She might think I'm being a bad malay or something.. Errr,excuse miss, I'm just trying to help u here. This is just one example. I had encounter with lots of malays with this similarities.

Sometimes when Malays talk english, it doesn't mean that they are showing off. It might means that they realize the importance of speaking that language. For all u know, english might help u to get a job!

No comments: